My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://catholicfamilyvignettes.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Sabbatical...


The past few days have been exhausting. One by one, the children are succumbing to this devilish illness. The little girls have remained feverish, with temperatures exceeding 103. They feel a bit better, then they feel worse. The boys are suffering as well, though their temperatures haven't been as high. Thank you, friends, for your continued prayers!

As we approach the holy season of Lent, I've decided to take a bit of a sabbatical from blogging. I'm preparing to renew my Consecration to Our Lady and feel called to limit my distractions as much as possible. Having devoted so much time of late to tending the sick has helped me to realize that I really need to shift my focus...

It's such an odd thing: I'm never so patient, so solicitous of the needs of my family as I am when they are sick. Why is that? They are the same dear children and I am their mother, yet I find myself annoyed by the constant interruptions and distractions that make up day to day life.

Except when they're sick.

They can interrupt me anytime. Even when I'm sleeping. I'm charmed by how happy they are when I serve them hot tea (when they didn't ask), sat down and read a book to them (when they didn't ask), and watched a young boy play a video game (and he didn't ask)...

Over the past few weeks, I've developed a nasty habit: I've been spending a lot of time filling requests, rather than genuinely serving. I enjoy serving, willingly, so much better. So I'm going try to be present. I'm going to try a little harder to give those little acts of kindness before they have to ask. And I'm quite sure, my patience will be tried more than once.

But I'm going to try...

I'll be thinking of all my dear friends, and will keep you in my prayers. Could you pray for me? Thanks...I knew you would!

4 comments:

Barbara said...

"I've been spending a lot of time filling requests, rather than genuinely serving."

I think you just gave me an idea for some Lenten penance, and I have been just waiting for that idea to come to me. Thanks! Hopefully that penance will become permanent!

I will keep you in prayer during Lent and look forward to your return to the blogging world.

elena maria vidal said...

I am going to cut back on blogging, too, for Lent.

Allison said...

You certainly have my prayers. Your observations are dead on,
Lent is such a perfect time for redirection.

God bless you!

I will miss, miss, miss you!

Nonni said...

More prayers to you all! Wretched, wretched illness! Be purged from our midst!

Your sabbatical is well timed, since one of my Lenten sacrifices is to stop surfing and reading blogs. (Essential e-mail correspondence only!) I was going to make an exception for your blog, but your sabbatical is probably a sign not to make exceptions! ;)