My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://catholicfamilyvignettes.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Eavesdropping...

Overheard today at the thrift store:

(Older lady 60ish stocking a bookshelf): "May I help you sir?"

(Much older gentleman in his 80's, dapper and quite spry): "Have you, perchance, seen any hardcover books on the collected works of Rudyard Kipling?"

Lady: "Should I be familiar with him, sir?"

Gentleman: "Indeed, yes! I am a great fan of his poetry in particular..."(he proceeds with a lengthy and quite beautiful recitation of a piece I was unfamiliar with...may have been "Apologies", but I'm not sure)

Unknown to him, he had an audience: a couple of ladies looking at teapots and coffee makers and me.

He shared his knowledge of Kipling and the period of history in which he wrote. It was a fascinating and unexpected treat!

By the way...thrift stores are such a great place to find incredible books, collectible and otherwise. I have located no less than two Latin Missals and a variety of beautiful Catholic literature and devotional materials. Check them out!

No comments: