My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://catholicfamilyvignettes.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 30, 2007

What?! No Pictures?!!


It is 9:00 a.m. on a Monday morning and every single one of my children are asleep. Dead to the world. Why? This is the aftermath of my dear daughter's graduation/birthday party.

What an evening! A breezy, moonlit night spent with fifty wonderful, traditional Catholics. The food was incredible: Roger prepared his "signature" specialty, country style ribs with "secret sauce". Smashed potato salad (my specialty), cole slaw and tomato salad (fresh from the garden), "cowboy" baked beans and a variety of delightful and tempting dishes provided by our generous friends.

And beer. Lots of beer.

Our dear seminarian, Mr. Michael Connaughton, led us all in the Latin Table Blessing and the festivities commenced. Conversation galore, entertaining stories and the occasional outburst of song from our dear priest, Fr. Kevin Lutz. The boys played football and blew up water bottles by quickly capping them after filling them with dry ice and water. The little ones played amongst the sunflowers and in the sandbox, while the young ladies engaged in earnest conversation as they observed the antics of the young "football stars."

This is how Sunday evenings should be spent. During our "Catholic Commune" days (I'll have to share that story, one day), this was the rule, not the exception. Evenings of good food, fine conversation, children running around in joyful play...a beautiful way of life.

So...thank you, my dear friends. You are a blessing to us all. Thank you for helping us celebrate this lovely young woman. May God bless each of you for the generous gift of your time...oh yeah...thanks for the beer!

2 comments:

KRISLYNNE LYONS said...

What a wonderful evening! We were so glad to be apart of such a joyous occasion (maybe a little too joyous for my husband. By the way, he is recovering quite nicely!). Great food and great friends. Why don't we live everyday like this? Congartulations Meredith, and Happy 18th. We love you all!

Joyful Catholic said...

I've gotta confess...it was the "beer lots of beer" line that grabbed me to this post and keep me here. I'm not a heavy drinker, but I do like my beer with certain foods, and most of them are anything but cereal! ha ha

Just kidding. I always make drinking jokes that get me in trouble with one moderator on the CHNI forums during live chat on Wed. nights. Pop on in tomorrow night if you'd like. It's a blast!

Love your blog, too! I miss evenings like you wrote about. I got very nostalgic over the weekend and teary-eyed missing my mom and grandparents (see my post Front Porch Theology from Saturday July 28)

Well, I'd better get back to my inbox and emails.

PAX,
susie