My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://catholicfamilyvignettes.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

A recent convert...


To soft-boiled eggs! After listening to a good friend "wax rhapsodic" on the joys of the soft-boiled egg (hi Selena!), I decided to push past my previous prejudice and give them a try.

I'm hooked. So are the girls. What fun to "dip soldiers" and "remove helmets!" You'd think all of this "war talk" would be enough to encourage the boys...alas, they are unmoved and vow to stick to over easy and hard-boiled eggs.

I can't say it's been easy, this "conversion." Many over-cooked and under-cooked eggs. Consulting the internet and my mom, it took nearly two weeks before I hit upon the perfect method.

Here is my version of the perfect soft-boiled egg:

Place eggs in a bowl of hot water while you prepare a pan of water.
Bring water to a rolling boil.
Place "warmed" eggs carefully in boiling water.
Set timer for 4 minutes.
Fill a bowl with cold water.
At the end of the 4 minutes, remove eggs from boiling water and place in bowl of cold water for 1 minute to stop the cooking process.
Remove eggs and place in individual *egg cups*.
Butter toast and cut into thin strips (these are the "soldiers").
Using the bowl of your spoon, gently strike the top of the egg twice, and "cap" or remove the "helmet" with the edge of the spoon.
Salt and pepper to taste...dip your "soldiers" and enjoy!

*I've found three nice egg cups in local thrift stores, but a shot glass will do nicely if you haven't any!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe - I can never get them right. I knew the boil for 4 minutes but didn't know about warming ahead of time...can't wait to try it. by the way, I was introduced to your Blog through your article on the UN Ageing report - very powerful stuff - Thanks