My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://catholicfamilyvignettes.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Climbing Mt. Never-Rest...


The house is a disaster.

The laundry has taken over the mudroom. I'm afraid to go in there...

The classroom is in a state of pure disorder--relatively tidy, but nothing is where it should be. School is looming in the distance, we start back on Monday. How I admire those of my friends who have managed to "undo the damage" so quickly after the holidays! The children are antsy--too much free time, no structure to the day and a snowy vista that is far too cold to enjoy.

And I'm on round two of whatever this nasty cold thing is, that's going around. The rest of the family is relatively healthy, thankfully--just a sniffle here and there. My productivity is nil. My motivation, even less. But...it must be done. Egads, that means me. I must do it.

So...I'll step away from the keyboard, say a quick prayer (maybe a long one!) and endeavor to "right the wrongs" that surround me.

The laundry. Always the laundry.

Laundry

All our life
so much laundry;
each day's doing or not
comes clean,
flows off and away
to blend with other sins
of this world. Each day
begins in new skin,
blessed by the elements
charged to take us
out again to do or undo
what's been assigned.
From socks to shirts
the selves we shed
lift off the line
as if they own
a life apart
from the one we offer.
There is joy in clean laundry.
All is forgiven in water, sun
and air. We offer our day's deeds
to the blue-eyed sky, with soap and prayer,
our arms up, then lowered in supplication.

Copyright © 1995 by Ruth Moose.
image from weblogcartoons.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post reminds me of a poet I studied in college; Richard Wilbur. In one of the poem's called "Love Calls Us to the Things of This World" there is a line that says "Let there be clean laundry for the backs of thieves..." There is something sacred about clean laundry, and regarding my five boys, a small miracle when they are actually clean.

I enjoy your blog very much!

Kimberly said...

Thank you for your kind words, Christina! Five boys! How wonderful...I certainly understand the "small miracle"--clean is so much easier now that we have snow, and not mud!